October is a beautiful time of year in Santa Fe. The air has a crisp feel as it chills, and the mountains burst into color as the aspen leaves turn stunning shades of yellow and orange. It is against this backdrop that the Canyon Road Paint Out and Sculpt Out is held. Now in its seventh year, it is a beloved tradition in which artists from all over flock to The City Different to paint en plein air in front of galleries and with an eager public watching.
Here at Waxlander Gallery we are also eagerly preparing for this favorite fall event. Eleven of our artists will be joining us, filling the spaces in the sculpture garden and in the street in front of the gallery with canvasses and painting tools, and each brings their own unique style to their work.
- Marshall Noice paints colorful landscapes that focus more on his impression of a place rather than reality.
- Andree Hudson uses large brushtrokes to bring powerful animals to life.
- Christopher Owen Nelson carves and then reverse paints plexiglass.
- Matthew Higginbotham focuses on revealing the power of the land in his luminous landscapes
- Suzanne Donazetti paints, cuts into strips and then weaves copper to create layered abstract painted sculptures.
- Also joining us are: Sharon Markwardt, Lori Faye Bock, Dominique Boisjoli, April Deming, Terrell Powell and Ginnie Cappaert.
So what can you expect besides the chance to see some of your favorite artists at work? There will be a Festival parade at noon, featuring bands from several Santa Fe public schools. After that many groups will head to galleries along the road to perform. Then at 3 pm there is a secret event that will be held at Winterowd Fine Art and GF Contemporary.
Join us for all the festivities on Saturday October 18th from 10 am – 3 pm to see some of your favorite Waxlander artists painting live for the 7th Annual Canyon Road Paint Out & Sculpt Out